Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs) are a hot topic right now. As housing shortages spread throughout the country, many areas are looking to ADUs to help increase housing density. In Denver, more and more neighborhoods are changing their zoning rules to allow blanket approval for homeowners to build an ADU on their property. What’s the best way to build and finance an ADU? Derek Sherell–That ADU Guy–joins us to talk about how to get your ADU up and running.
- Listen to the podcast “#447: Not Sure Where to Start with an ADU? That ADU Guy Shares His Best Strategies and Tips” Denver Real Estate Investing Podcast
- Watch the YouTube video.
- Read the blog post. Note, the blog is an executive summary. Get the in-depth breakdown from the podcast or video.
Derek has been building and renting out ADUs for the better part of 30 years and is a big proponent of these structures both as investments and as a way to create affordable housing. He’s sharing his methods for building ADUs at $100 per square foot, the steps you need to take to get an approved ADU, and different financing options to build an ADU without breaking the bank.
If you’re wondering if it’s a good idea to build on your property, check out the episode to find out why Derek thinks Denver is one of the few markets where you can’t lose with ADUs. Be sure to visit Derek’s website for more information and even free floor plans!
In This Episode We Covered:
- Why Denver is a great market for ADUs and the evolving local ordinances that are making it easier to build.
- The importance of getting in touch with your local zoning office to make sure you can build an approved ADU.
- The steps you need to take to get your ADU approved, and the 2 “poison pills” to watch out for.
- Various financing options if you want to build the ADU yourself.
- The future of ADUs as the need for more housing increases.