The MLS trends data for Colorado Springs are now out, and we have all the stats and analysis you need to understand the market.
- Listen to the podcast “#76: Colorado Springs Real Estate MLS Market Stats – February 2022” on the Colorado Springs Real Estate Investing Podcast
- Watch the YouTube video (at the bottom.)
- Read the blog post. Note, the blog is an executive summary. Get the in-depth breakdown from the podcast or video.
It continues to be a seller’s market: while there was an uptick in listings this month, the total active went down, which means that properties are going fast. Prices continue to go up, which compresses cap rates and drives down cash on cash returns.
Keep in mind, though, that cashflow was never the main draw for investing in the Springs, so this shouldn’t change someone’s overall investing strategy. Remember the four ways to make money in real estate: cashflow, appreciation, debt paydown, and depreciation. There’s more to long-term wealth building than just cap rates and cash on cash returns.
We understand that the market is hot, but we’re still getting clients under contract and investing in real estate ourselves. We talk about the reality of the market to set our clients up for success and help them refine their strategies for current market conditions.
February 2022 Stats Ideas and Observations
- The number of new listings didn’t really increase in Feb vs. Jan: the typical seasonality would lead you to expect a bit more of an uptick in the number of listings than that.
- Oddly, the number of sales in Feb was slightly less than January. Again, usually it trends up. I think this is due to the lack of inventory and certainly not a lack of demand.
- The active inventory at the end of the month went down at end of Feb – no big surprise there.
Looking at this February 2022 vs. Feb 2021:
- 12% fewer new listings (despite the high prices that you think would encourage sellers!)
- 4% more sales count
- 13% increase in price
The market continues to be red hot.
Source: The above is an executive summary from Lon Welsh of Your Castle Real Estate.
Showing per Active Listing Trends for Colorado Springs
How to Get Started Building Your Own Colorado Springs Rental Portfolio
For information on how to start investing in Colorado Springs, check out our free 2021 Colorado Springs Real Estate Investing Guide.