In 2021, the Denver City Council passed a new ordinance requiring a Residential Rental Property license for residential rental properties in the City and County of Denver. The program will go into effect starting January 1, 2023.
This program is designed to proactively enforce minimum housing standards to ensure all renters in Denver have safe and sanitary housing. Landlords in Denver will be required to obtain a license from the city in order to offer, provide, and operate a residential rental property.
To help Denver landlords navigate the process, I recently hosted a webinar with Eric Ross, the Co-Owner of Ecospace Property Management, and Brittney Vernon, Your Castle Realty agent and Denver investor.
- Listen to the podcast “#418: Everything You Need to Know to Register for a Denver Rental License” Denver Real Estate Investing Podcast
- Watch the YouTube video (at the bottom).
- Read the blog post. Note, the blog is an executive summary. Get the in-depth breakdown from the podcast or video.
What Do I Need to Know about the Rental Licensing Program?
We covered these topics:
- The rollout of the program and timeline
- What the inspection includes and common issues landlords are running into
- How to obtain your rental license
We also answered questions from the audience, including:
- Does this program apply to house hackers?
- How much does the process cost?
- Will there be an enforcement mechanism?
Useful Links and Contact Info for the Denver Rental License Program:
- Licensing Program Frequently Asked Questions
- Residential Rental Program Inspection Checklist Guidebook
- Residential Rental Inspector Checklist
- Kevin, Denver Inspector: 303-946-9900
- Kevin is a licensed inspector for the program and is a landlord himself. Brittney worked with him during the inspection and approval process and highly recommends him.
- Ecospace: Eric’s full-service property management company. They do all types of residential properties, are investor friendly, and are happy to be a resource for the rental license program
- Brittney Vernon: agent and investor with Your Castle Realty. Email her with questions about the program: [email protected].